Saturday 23 April 2011

Alone Again Or

Today I found myself in a very different position, giving advise to a 21 year old girl who is accidentally pregnant and not sure what to do.
I feel for her tremendously. My own age and desire to have a baby doesnt change my empathy for the heartache someone can feel in that situation. I gave her some advice as to where she might be able to get some info on Easter weekend because of course the NHS clinics are closed and the hospital maternity wards are likely short staffed on a holiday. But no matter what advice I gave, I was careful not to influence her decision, as its something every woman must decide for themselves. It does point up the fact that no matter what our age or fertility situation all women face choices about their reproductive health at some point in their lives, and it seems to often there are others keen to critise us for our choices without any compassion for how difficult it is to make them.
I also listened to the BBC radio show which wants me as a guest, and they had a woman speaking about her experience with giving up a child for adoption. She met the adult son later on, and now has a relationship with him, but what struck me about  her story was the emotional pain she experienced when she had to give the baby up, and how the choice was basically made for her by her parents.
I share all this to remind my readers that although I make light about the situation I find myself in, it my way of dealing with something that is other than ideal. Using a known donor/co-parent is my choice, after sifting through a myriad of other choices, but do not imagine for one moment that I am frivolous or unaware of the effect my decisions may have down to the line.
To that end, I watched the trailer to a documentary film, about donors who group together to find their donor father. It was brilliant to see how lovely these young people were, and how interested they were in finding their anonymous donor father. And it was fascinating to see how many physical features and personality traits they shared. Which certainly supports my theory that so many things and inherited genetically, and supports me further in my choice.
Well, its cooler and raining now thank Heavens, and thats not something one hears often in London at Easter!
There's some stuff brewing with Danish donor, I'll keep you posted...

Until next time then,
*:-)Lulu

ps today's title/song is by 60s group Love- sort of a precursor to the Stone Roses- Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment